Friday, August 04, 2006

I Actually Got Out of Bed!!

Good morning everyone! I hope you’re having a wonderful morning. My husband and I were talking last night and we realized that ever since we got married, we have had a really hard time getting out of bed and getting ready. This is completely unlike both of us. We are typically both early risers, and when that alarm clock goes off, we’re up. We decided to try setting different alarm clocks for each of us, and when our alarm goes off, theoretically, we’re supposed to be up. Well, obviously it worked for this morning, or else I wouldn’t be sitting here typing. We’ll see if this trend of actually getting out of bed when the alarm sounds the FIRST time continues.

In other excitingness, I’m supposed to hear from Zondervan about the rights to the NIV for audio recordings by Monday. I have been praying my little heart out. Please pray for me too. I decided that I am going to start with Luke for about a bazillion reasons. And I figured that since I’m starting with Luke, I should probably study that book pretty thoroughly so that I can make better study guides (with the help of the Holy Spirit of course!). Yesterday I finally caught on to how I should study and it was so much fun! I was reading Luke 1 about Zachariahs and Elizabeth and Gabriel announcing the births of Jesus and John the Baptist. Try as I might, I could not avoid this one theme I found creeping up in all over in this one chapter. It was amazingly relevant too! It’s super simple: Trust God!

Zacharias had been praying for a son forever. He was so old, he was sure his request would never be granted. Yet, as he entered the temple to burn incense, God sent an angle to answer his true and deep longing. However when the angel told him he was going to have a son, Zacharias did not believe him. I mean, it was weird, he and his wife were old, and why would God wait so long to grant him his request. No, it couldn’t be true. Zacharias didn’t believe. He was like the foolish man in James 1:5-8

Then there was Mary. Gabriel visited her and said that she was going to have a son. She was a bit confused, not understanding how this could be so. The angel explained to her the process, and although she still didn’t understand, she said OK. Despite the tremendous changes this would bring to her life, she trusted completely in the Lord and His Word. This also reminds me of what Jesus says in Matthew 16:24-26. Mary was willing to trust explicitly what the Lord had in store for her.

So it’s that simple – trust. But why? God keeps His promises. All the things God attested to happened. We have a God we should trust, so why not let go of my crazy notions and rationalizations, and just trust God? “Trust the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: