Friday, June 30, 2006

Ahhh!!! Must Hurry!

Went to work…helped make lunch…ate lunch…went to the grocery store…went to the post office…did some laundry…made bread…made breakfast for tomorrow…made soup…made homemade peach sorbet…dealt with workman’s comp until I couldn’t take it any more and Arlen took over…did the dishes…swept and mopped (more like scrubbed on all fours) the kitchen…folded and put away laundry…straightened the house…hubby helped and kept me sane…sat down for a break. Pretty busy huh?

I’ve been rushing around for the past few hours, getting ready for the Sabbath. But as I sit here now and take a breather, one thought is running through my mind. “Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10. I know I posted this Psalm the other day, but it is still running through my mind. It seems that every Friday I get so caught up in the rush of preparing for Sabbath that I don’t really take a break and think about what I’m doing all this rushing around for. I know it’s not meaningless. In Mark, Jesus says “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” Mark 7:28. What does this mean? It means “Be still and know that I am God,” It means, “Six days shall you labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of the Lord your God, in it you shall not do any work.” Exodus 20:9,10a. It means that God has made the Sabbath a special day to commune with us like on no other day during the week. So, rather than getting caught up in the stresses of Friday, I should prepare excitedly. I should look at it as an opportunity to have the best company of all time over to my house. Yay!

Okay, okay, I have to go here really soon, but before I do, I want to share with you one more thing God has been bringing to my heart today. It’s a text we all know from Mark 8. Where Jesus said, “Whoever wants to save his life will loose it, but whoever looses his life for me and for the gospel will save it” Mark 8:35. I had never read that in context before. (Man, my time is running short.) Well, instead of writing about the wonderful things God has showed me, I’ll let you discover it for yourself. I’d never looked at this verse in context before – it changes the whole meaning. Read it and keep in mind what Jesus says to Peter about His motives. Now think of what makes up your life. Are you willing to lose it all if Christ calls you to that? Just something to think about.

No comments: