Sunday, July 02, 2006

Hello?? Can anybody hear me?!?!

Honestly, this weekend has been a really rough one for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had a good Sabbath and have had a lot of fun times too. However, I have been struggling. I often feel misunderstood, and the past few days have been no exception. There is one thing that has made things a little rougher too. On top of not feeling understood, I have not felt listened to. It’s been almost as if I’ve had to fight for everything I’ve said. It’s quite exhausting and draining to be honest.

Although I know the scale for me is much smaller, I feel as if I can relate to Jesus a little bit. The book of Mark records three times when Jesus tries to tell his disciples of His impending death. The first time, the disciples don’t even sort of get what He was trying to say, and to make matters worse, Peter argues with Him. The two other times after that, the disciples are still confused. I’m sure Jesus felt frustrated and unlistened to then.

One of my favorite texts is Hebrews 4:15 and 16. It says, “For we do not have a high priest [meaning Jesus] who cannot sympathize with our weakness, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore, let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in our time of need." Hebrews 4 is filled of the news of Christ’s comfort for us. It’s encouraging to know that even when we feel like no one in the world understands us, or no one in the world is listening, Jesus is there ready to hold us.

As I close, I am going to leave you with the words of the first and third verses of a hymn that has been playing in my mind today. It’s called “Abide with Me” and was written by Henry F. Lyte.

“Abide with me;
fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens;
Lord with me abide!
When other helpers fail,
and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless,
O abide with me!

I need Thy presence
every passing hour;
What but thy grace can
Foil the tempters power?
Who like Thyself my
guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine
O abide with me!"

No comments: