Sunday, June 25, 2006

Bible Study

Ok, so the words Bible study scare a lot of people. Where do I begin? What do I do next? What if I don't get it? And there's devotional time. What am I supposed to do there? Pray? Read the Bible? Is that it?

To be honest, studying the Bible is something I haven't struggled with a whole lot, but I know a lot of people have. I mean, for goodness sake, it's the biggest book I've ever seen, and it's certainly not the easiest to understand. And there are those tough parts like Revelation and Leveticus. So what's to be done? Buckle down and just drudge through it, right? Wrong.

I am a strong believer that the Bible can be interesting to everyone. That's right. The problem is too many of us think there is only one right way to study the bible. That's where we're mistaken. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of wrong ways to study the Bible too. My point is, however, that we must find what works for our personality. I mark all over my Bible, write down all sorts of questions and then search for the answers. It is also very important for me to be systematic - working through one book at a time. However, my husband jumps all around, singing in the middle of His reading and sometimes searching the Bible topically. Both of these are good, but they are very different approaches. The important thing is that we are truely seeking to find what God is saying to us through the Bible authors, not what we want Him to say, or what we think He's saying. We want to know what God is really telling us.

Anyway, I just thought it would be fun to share your favorite Bible study methods and or your favoriate thing to do for devotions/worship. Who knows, you might even see something you'd like to try.

No comments: