Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Me? Gullable? Maybe...

I'm going to tell you something. If you don't know me very well, you are in for a treat. If you do know me pretty well, you will simply laugh and say "yup, that's Laura." Okay, here goes. I'm gullable. Not just a little gullable, I'm very gullable. Many people find great amusement out of this because this little fact makes me very teasable! However, there is another personality trait I posess that makes me likely one of the most teasable people in the world. I react. I don't just react a little bit, I react whole heartedly.

That's kind of how I am about everything. I believe and I react. While these two traits can be wonderful at times, they can also be huge personality flaws. Basicly when it's at it's worst, I overreact and jump to conclusions. This reminds me very much of the Isrealites in Joshua 22. They were freaking out because the tribes of Ruben, Gad and Manasseh had built this massive alter on the other side of the Jorden. The sons of Isreal simply assumed that this alter was being used in ways that are contrary to God's law. They were so upset that they were ready to go to war against them. That's pretty bad. Come to find out, it was nothing at all like what the Isrealites thought! It's a good thing they checked things out before heading to the Jordon suited up and ready for war.

Only God knows all the ins and out of what's really going on. 1 Samuel 16:7 says "Man looks at the outward appearence, but the Lord looks at the heart." It's easy for me (and I'm assuming some of you can say the same for yourselves) to come to conclusions and react too quickly. However, it is important that we a) seek the Lord's counsel, b) gather all the facts from the appropriate sources and c) practice patience with our reactions.

In closing I have one thing to say! I'm so thankful for the promise we find in Philippians 1:6 "For I am confidant of this very thing, that He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Jesus Christ."

No comments: