Saturday, April 19, 2008

More Time With Thee O Lord

Image by: Ian Britton at freefoto.com

There is so much that God is teaching me right now that it's rather difficult to know what to write about. I guess that's why blogging is so great. I forces me to slow down and process one thought, one lesson at a time.

I think right now, I am going to share with you two quotes from the book I'm reading. Before I get started though, it's just amazing to me how many things in this book have been so on target with the things God has been teaching me over the years in my life. It is quite astounding actually.

That being said, here's quote number one:

These are lessons that only he who himself has learned can teach. It is because so many parents and teachers profess to believe the word of God while their lives deny its power, that the teaching of Scripture has no greater effect upon the youth. -p.259


This is the whole push behind Joshua's House. It is so important that children are raised from a young age, with a love for God. It is crucial that they learn to have a deep and intimate relationship with Him. Knowing all the right things simply isn't enough. Yet how are the children supposed to learn when few adults have this relationship with Christ themselves?

'Come and hear the message that has come from the LORD.' My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to listen to your words, but they do not put them into practice. With their mouths they express devotion, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain. Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice. - Ezekiel 33:30-32


I pray that I may be a doer of the word and not merely a hearer. Listening to God's word, hearing His voice is not enough. As I teach children and work with them, my responsibility is great. I cannot teach them to have a relationship with Christ if I do not know Him myself.

After reading this, I could not help but ask myself - do I have this deep relationship with God? Do I have something to share with them, or am I merely passing along information? As I questioned, another paragraph in my reading caused me to probe even deeper:

Many, even in their seasons of devotion, fail of receiving the blessing of real communion with God. They are in too great haste. With hurried steps they press through the circle of Christ's loving presence, pausing perhaps a moment within the sacred precincts, but not waiting for counsel. They have no time to remain with the divine Teacher. With their burdens they return to their work. -p. 260


Wow - that is totally me. It hit the nail right on the head! Why do I constantly fret and worry? Why do I stress out? Why do I continually struggle to lay my burdens at the feet of Jesus? It's because I do not spend enough time with Him.

Oh Lord, help me to spend more time with you each and every day. Help me to wait for Your council. Help me to know You.

Here is another passage to ponder.

No comments: