Wednesday, March 28, 2007

I Didn't Get the Job!

I still remember my junior year of high school. I was finally old enough to work at camp. This is a job I had longed to have since my first visit to Cohutta Springs Camp. I couldn't wait. I filled out my application, and met with the director. I was sure I would get the job. My references were wonderful, I had a lot of confidence, my interview went well...and...I knew the brother of the person who was doing the hiring and he said he would put in a good word for me. With that type of recommendation I was sure I had the job. As my friends and I all got our letters from Cohutta, telling us our fate for the summer, I was excited as all my friends eagerly opened their envelopes to find that they were going to be working at camp. Then, I got my letter. I opened it, never wondering what would be inside. I was sure I would be spending the summer with my friends and all sorts of fun kids. I slowly slid my finger under the envelope seal. I pulled out the piece of paper it contained and began to read the words. I was on a "waiting" list. It was a nice way of saying I didn't get the job!!

"What?" I thought. "How could this be?" I knew the right people - I had a really good connection, I had great credentials (I had been working in the business office at the school for goodness sake), I wanted to work there way more than some of my friends I had to convince to apply so we could be together for the summer and they got in. What happened??

As you can imagine, this was a low point in my life. It seemed I had so much to put my hope and trust in. The problem was, I put it all in the wrong stuff. Isaiah 31 tells us of a people who trusted in the strength of horses, chariots and horesemen in Egypt. They poured their faith into these feeble, earthly strongholds rather than looking to and seeking the ultimate strength, their Heavenly Father. This is exactly what I did. As I recall, I don't even think I spent much time talking to God about what He wanted me to do that summer. But that wasn't the only time I placed my trust in things of this earth. It seems I have often placed my trust in reputation, a job, people I know, my own knowledge, or any number of things. However, I think David truly had it right when he wrote:
"Now I know that the LORD saves His anointed;
He will answer him from His holy heaven
With the saving strength of His right hand.
Some boast in chariots and some in horses,
But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God."
~Psalm 20:6-7


May this be our prayer today - that we may boast and trust in our Lord!

No comments: