Sunday, June 22, 2008

Do Not Be Afraid

When I really studied Jeremiah for the first time, it was while I was taking a parenting class at Southern. As I took the class and continued to study, it became clear to me that when studied from the perspective of God as the Father and Israel as His children, there is no better parenting guide anywhere.

Seeing as I have been working with children so much more lately, I decided to re-read the book of Jeremiah. What a blessing it will bring.

I started today and I just wanted to share a couple passages - it's packed.

"But the Lord said to me, 'Do not say, "I am a youth," because everywhere I send you, you shall go, and all that I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, For I am with you to deliver you,' declares the Lord." Jeremiah 1:7-8

"They will fight against you, but they will not overcome you, for I am with you to deliver you," declares the Lord." Jeremiah 1:19


What amazing promises! I love the promise that God makes in verse 8 - "Do not be afraid of them, For I am with you, to deliver you." It seems that God makes this promise again and again to all who are willing to do His will. Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and Joshua just to name a few. If we are following God and are striving to do His will, we have no reason to fear.

Verse 19 really brings this home to me more. God is telling the people that they will have enemies fighting against them, but He encourages them to have faith, for He will deliver them. It is during the storms of life that the deliverance of God is hard to believe, yet we cannot forget that He "...will never leave [us] or forsake [us]." Deuteronomy 31:8

So for today, be bold, be courageous, for the Lord is with you.

No comments: