Friday, August 24, 2007

Don't forget the jogging.

Athletic shoes - check. Athletic socks - check. Super sporty pony tail - check. Nice and comfy exercise pants - check. Pliable exercise shirt - check. Woo Hoo - I'm ready to work out now.

I love wearing my exercise clothes. For one thing they are incredibly comfortable. For another thing they make me feel fit and slim. When I'm wearing my work-out garb I feel like I could run a mile, for that matter, I feel like I could run 10 miles. I am motivated.

As I dressed in such attire today and was looking at my schedule, it hit me. I can wear these confidence boosting clothes, but I'm not any more fit, slim, healthy, toned, etc until I actually exercise. Yes, it's sad but true. When it comes right down to it, this outfit really doesn't do much for me except give me a little boost. It really isn't a miracle outfit though. I won't lose 5 pounds if I wear it 30 minutes every day. I won't tone my abs if I jump into the suit while working on homework. It just doesn't work that way.

Then I was thinking some more, and this kind of reminds me of Christianity. Wearing Christian clothes, having the title, going to church, etc doesn't make me a Christian. These are all like my exercise outfit. Sure, they can be great motivators and reminders, but in and of themselves, they don't do much.

James talks about this in James 1:22-25

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.


Let us fully embrace the gift, the love, the life that our Father in Heaven has giving us. Sure, go out, joyfully wear your exercise outfit. But in the process, don't forget a nice, refreshing jog. I'll see you at the starting line!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another thoughtful blog. You really make me think at times.
Thanks,
AP