Saturday, July 14, 2007

That Haystack Hidden Needle




Some people would call me a visionary. Some may even go as far to call me a passionate visionary. I have a passion for life. I have a passion for all the wrongs in life being righted. This may sound honorable and noble, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. The problem with all of this is that in order to want to change life, to want to make things better, I have to first become focused on this world. I have to recognize what's wrong. I also have to be aware of all of the barriers that stand in the way of change and restoration.

The truth is I know deep down inside, that if I just focus on those barriers, on all the things that are wrong or difficult, I will never find my way through. So often I allow myself to be torn town by the huge obstacles in my way. So often all I can see is what's wrong. It's like looking for a needle in a hay stack. If all I see is the hay, if all I can focus on is this huge mound, then I will be filled with so much sorrow and an overwhelming sense of impossibility. Yet, if I trust that God is there, that He is with me, and that He truly has made a way, I will have hope and faith that the needle really is there. So suddenly, my eyes will be turned from the massive hay stack to the God. He knows where that needle, where the tiny way through is. Prayerfully, I will search for that needle until He helps me to find it. Then, when I have the tiny, shiny object in my hand, the stack of hay will not seem so overpowering.

If I focus on all of the things that are wrong in my life, in the world, in other people's lives, and fail to see the way that God made, I will allow myself to become lost and trapped. I will roam around in the dark. This is not what God has called us to do.

In Colossians, (3:1-2 to be exact) Paul tells us:

Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.


So that is what I will strive to do. Rather than focusing on the trials and obstacles this life may hold, rather than allowing myself to be overcome by all that is wrong, I will focus on Christ. I will look to Him. I will allow Him to be my point of focus.

No comments: